Monday, March 22, 2010

A Case of Vanity


It was a bright July sunny morning & I was brushing sleepily at my hostel basin. Absentminded, I saw another girl join me on the side for the same daily chore. She kept glancing at me every now & then. I acknowledged but didn't pay much heed and departed for a shower. My MBA classes started at 9 am sharp. It was my first week at the new place and I was still to make friends. You need them to make homesickness easier, especially at lonely, desert like surroundings, far..very far from the main city. I saw the same girl at night, the same place. Don't let your horses loose. I am very straight. Its been a habit to wash my face, moisturize, & do my hair before going to bed. It just gives me a clean fresh feeling. Most of my hostel mates who observed this habit teased me and joked that I am gonna meet my man in dreams, so I need to look good & smell better. But I remained unperturbed. I am obsessed about personal hygiene and it was a fine habit. So I carried it this way for a whole two years there. Well, yes I still do.

Anyways, the girl & I started exchanging hi-s and hellos whenever we met at the washing area. She seemed like a warm and charming girl. One fine evening, as I was almost done with my beauty chores, she came up to me and said, 'Hey, if you dont mind, may I ask you something?" I could just sense some curiosity there but was clueless of what its about. Without giving much thought, I replied, "Oh yeah, sure." She continued, "You might find this real funny. Okay. But I have been observing you since the first day and I cant help but say that you've beautiful eyes. They speak. But errrr..", she hesitated, "...do you apply maskara (a makeup for eyelashes) before going to bed 'coz your eyelashes look so pretty and finely rolled. Every morning when I see you I think you're obsessed with make-up." I couldnt comprehend it for a few seconds and then burst into a good laughter. Even before I could reply, she said..,"I am sorry if you found it intrusive...". I interrupted her and said...,"No darling, no maskara. These are natural." She truly looked embarrassed. Though it wasn't the first time someone told me that. I got that praise at my tuition classes, in school, and in college, by potential Romeos. I told her it was a wonderful compliment and that I would remember it for a long time. We remained good cordial friends since. I might sound funny but I have loved all good words in praise of my eyes than any other feature on my face or part of my body. (I am not even going there). Maybe, 'coz I believe eyes are a window to your heart and soul, and they seldom lie. (Unless, of course you've mastered the art of deception!!). Nothing gives a woman more pleasure than to be perceived a good person than just a beautiful face. Also, I find it truly enduring and flattering to receive praise from women, more than men. Men use skillful appreciation for the desire of lust, more than often. But it truly takes purity of heart for a woman to compliment another. Its occasional, thus more precious. 

And everytime, I am getting ready I cant help but look at my eyes a second time in mirror, before I leave. I hope even when the skin wrinkles, the vision gets bleak, and hands tremble, the eyes would still glow with love and humility.

" The only cure for vanity is laughter, and the only fault that's laughable is vanity."Henri Bergson

No comments:

Post a Comment