Monday, April 12, 2010

A day and some trivial joys

Soon as I got home, my cousin, who was on a quick visit to see mum, pointed towards a wallet lying on our scattered table in lobby . He said something like, 'Go. Shop!'. Being funniest of the lot, unsurprisingly, he's almost never taken seriously. I guess I gave a pretty puzzled look. I was dead tired, driving my way through routine traffic mania. That time, it was of least interest to me. I sank myself in a chair, my feet rolled up for some heaven-like joy. He continued, '....I found it on way. Seems like some girl dropped it in a jiffy'. My look must have changed a little by then. Well, just a little. Passively, I felt sorry for whoever she was. I extended my hand to open the black little thing, and found a couple of bank ATMs, identity cards, few 'pp size' photos of the girl, and lots of bits & pieces of paper - visiting cards, paper cuttings, and a picture of God. She seemed to be from a very humble background. There wasn't much cash & ATM slips conveyed the same. But what seemed meager to me could be much for her, I thought. I snapped my fixed phone and dialed the number on her ID card. Much to my disappointment, the number wasn't in use. She seemed an inter-city student. Poor thing might have panicked. It was 8 at night and I wasn't sure if someone would respond at her institute's number. Still I did. Only to receive a guy who was too lazy to check records for her current number. Wonder, when it comes to others, we conveniently give a damn! Anyways, I knew I would find her.

The next day I dialed her bank that refused to disclose any details, despite my trying to convince they can take my details to verify. I, then rang a number from a visiting card, who was an employee at the same bank. He was helpful and called me back after a few hours, only to tell me the account was not of his branch. Hence, it would take a while. I was thinking of the poor girl. She had her, what seemed like house keys, too in the wallet. Maybe she would've broken the lock to get in last night? As I was fumbling to find some more contact details, I got a phone Sim card inside. Wasting no time, I put it another cell phone. Bingo!! I got her 'home' number. At the other end, the voice tone changed from curiosity to happiness, followed by lots of thank-you's. I gave my number /address, and felt glad and relieved together. 

Soon, the rightful owner came to collect her little treasure. Very much like her picture. Her smile inadvertently bought one on my face too. A satisfaction you seldom encounter in everyday chaos. She thanked me more than I thought I deserved. It was nice, though. Guess, now whenever she looks at her little black purse, she would consider it her lucky charm, .....and perhaps think of me.

Isnt it strange how life connects us to people and their memories in so many wonderful ways?? I was happy I made a little nice story for someone's future.







No comments:

Post a Comment