Monday, May 24, 2010

Correlation: Good judgement & bad experience

Okay..I aint back to make a complaint. But to share an amusing incident in progress. In the backdrop of my current job, I've been semi-actively (not hunting myself rather let my CV on job portals get headhunting firms call me) looking out to get back into the groove. To make things clear, this is my first so far in 8 almost years at an Indian firm after a series of MNCs, and in a completely different industry. From business research & consulting to an IT solutions provider. Things have been okay so far. I mean, its an easy place. Not much work pressure, no harassment, less travel time, flex-timings, and a cordial atmosphere. A peace of mind thing. However, there are stark differences in the organization culture, process handling etc which in foreign firms, are indeed very professional and objective-oriented in nature. Hence, I've been thinking of getting back at what I was best at, and not get comfortable & lazy so early in life.
In what appeared like a very well synchronized occurrence from a divine intervention, I received a mail from an MD&CEO of another small start-up Indian firm (who had had a telecon interview with me last year and  somehow it couldn't materialize into a personal meeting for unknown reasons until I picked up my current job) asking me how was I doing etc and that he was looking for someone in HR&OD. Though my experience is by-far diverse and thick, I did express my interest as I am confident I'll pull it with ease, if the designation and profile suited my future plans to diversify. However, I tried not to appear over-excited and in need thus having him chase me. He did and things started on a fine note. Interestingly, he offered me the title that I genuinely want to get off. Genuinely. Hence, I clarified and convinced him to right effect and he seemed to be okay. He mentioned of a new guy and how he decided to send him to his new London office. Well, I aint the falling for this 'bait'. I got enough to probably holiday there. And already being in well-paid job, I am careful of my next career move. It has to fall in line with my long-term goals. Anyways, so probably he wanted to convince me to accept and I wanted him to be convinced of me not accepting any of it.

After him following up with me for a week, I sent him my CV, which has indeed been termed as 'impressive' by a lot of employers and recruitment firms. Things got strange when a couple of days back, I got a call from his EA (who's a fresher & has been there for just 2 months) asking me to give him a time for a conversation. Obviously, the purpose wasn't clear and I was wondering if he has been given the task of convincing me for his current role. Anyways, I did give him a time and he never bothered to call then. Instead, he gave me a call the next evening citing his grueling schedule. Huh? Excuse me. You are giving a call to a person who's much senior to you in age, experience, and exposure. That's something to be noted and respected. I've recruited many a people at that level. As for my current role, circumstances do go bad at times but that doesn't mean you aren't worth better stuff in life. The most amusing thing was he instead wanted me to come over & meet him at a coffee house on Sunday! I mean 'Are you kidding me?' I declined and asked him to schedule it on Monday morning and choose a place on way to my office so that I can stop over for a chit-chat, if that was his objective. He called me again on Sunday evening and said he couldn't find a decent place and I should rather drop by his office!! Was that some kind of a joke? Its his idea and he is unable to put it into place each time. No planning and time management skills. I know he's a fresher. What pissed me off was his attitude. I was amused & irritated when he responded saying he wont 'allow' me to change his processes!! Beep-Beep-Beep. I thought! What processes? Do they have a process of calling people for coffee for chit-chats? And then he went completely off the line saying he would like to see me in person to be able to 'map' me for different profiles. Bloody hell! He aint either qualified or experienced enough to do that. I told him that - 1st- it was his idea to first telecon & then change it to a personal meeting so its he who's changing processes (if it can be termed so) and not me. 2nd-  I sent my CV to his MD and not to him so I 've no clue how he got involved to establish his immaturity. 3rd - I'm obviously not free as per his moods & conditions and that he must first consult his boss, decide on a formal time, date & venue and email it to me coz that's the right process of taking things in an official fashion. That's the real 'PROCESS'.

As of now, they have not got back to me. If this guy does, I don't think I must take his call. And if his boss does, I'd explain how success should come only after the right exposure and experience or else it does more harm than good to the company. I guess, this guy got on a high just by the mere opportunity of weighing a candidate, by far more qualified and experienced than he himself is, and made a mess of things sounding authoritative. Anyways, if I do meet the boss, do you think I must take up the job even if they offer me a role & title of my choice? I aint keen now for a boss who doesn't give a thought as who should be interacting with whom, is probably not a good decision maker himself? As for the opportunities, I am sure there are plenty if I give it a serious try. I would really welcome reader's thoughts on this post. Its an interesting piece of bad experience. Yes, in progress.

2 comments:

  1. don take it.... dey seem unprofessional as an organization . ;) cheers ~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anindyo: Yeah..true. The picture is bad. So I finally make up to chuck it.

    ReplyDelete